Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Mightier Than the Pen

Never Mind Cursive -- Will Children Still Write
In an Era Ruled by Computers and PDA?
March 5, 2007

My four-year-old son is starting to get interested in making letters -- beginning, naturally, with writing his own name. He even makes some of the letters backwards, which I confess I thought only happened when adults imitated kids' writing.

Watching Joshua train his hand to make an 'S,' though, got me thinking: In our technological age, how much use will he get out of this particular skill? Will keyboards and touchscreens render pens and pencils specialized implements, with my kid never using a pen for anything much longer than a Post-It note?

for more go to wsjonline....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the feel of writing. It is magical. But it might not be for everyone.